Slow Baked Red Cabbage with Apple
- 1 large red cabbage finely sliced
- 1 large onion halved and sliced
- 2 eating apples cored and roughly chopped
- 100 ml red wine
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ½ tsp nutmeg grated or ground
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (300 °F).
- Mix the cabbage, onion, apples, red wine, sugar, red wine vinegar and spices in a large casserole dish.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the top and cover.
- If the casserole dish is flameproof (and you have time), bring to the boil on the stovetop. This will slightly reduce the oven cooking time.
- Place the casserole dish into the oven and leave to cook for 3 – 3 ½ hours, stirring every 45 minutes or so if possible.
- The cabbage is cooked when it’s tender and melting, and most of the liquid has been absorbed… At this point add seasoning as needed.
- Either enjoy immediately, or refrigerate or freeze and reheat later.
I’ve been trying lots of sweet and savoury recipes for apples recently, as our apple tree is laden this year. My current favourite cake is this egg and dairy free Apple Sauce Olive Oil Cake, made using homemade slow cooker apple sauce, although bought would work just fine too. Check out your local markets if you can for some great deals on apples while they’re in season, and enjoy tasting some different varieties!
And if you need fresh Tasmanian Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO), then you can buy from our online shop here and have it delivered by Express Post within Australia. Or you may be one of the lucky people living near Hobart, and able to get to Farm Gate Market at Bathurst St on Sundays – which is where I’ll be roughly fortnightly from this weekend between 8.30am and 1pm. Come along and say hello, while eating your way around the best food Tassie has to offer.