Overnight Oatmeal… with olive oil
A healthy make ahead breakfast, to get your day off to a good start and help you feel full for longer, using oats, dried fruit, nuts, and olive oil.
- 1 cup oats
- 1/3 cup dried apricots
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- tablespoon EVOO to taste about a tablespoon per portion
- Chop the fruit and nuts.
- Add to oats.
- Add milk, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Mix together and leave in the fridge overnight in a sealed container.
- I generally use whole milk, but low fat milk, or almond milk are also great.
- Use any other dried fruits you like, or have hidden in the back of the cupboard.
- Fresh fruit is also lovely, but better added at the time of eating, try grated apple, chopped nectarine, sliced pear…
- Walnuts are great in this too, or try seeds, such as sunflower seed kernels.
- If you don’t have vanilla essence or lemon zest, add a little honey, maple syrup, sugar, or salt to taste.
- This makes 2-3 portions, and keeps in the fridge for three days.
- I usually make it and keep it in a single large container in the fridge, but if you put it into individual jars it’s a great breakfast to grab and go if you’re short of time in the morning!
- I use rolled oats.
- Lemon zest can be frozen, so the next time you’ve got a lemon that’s getting past its best, zest it onto a piece of baking paper, fold to secure, and put it in an airtight bag in the freezer.