Cannellini Bean Dip with Rosemary and Roasted Garlic
Cannellini beans are a medium sized white bean with a slightly nutty flavour and a beautiful creamy texture. The rosemary and lemon add astringent notes, which are tempered by the richness of roasted garlic. This dip is lovely dressed with lemon olive oil, if you like an additional zesty tang! It’s a great hummus replacement in a veggie wrap, or spread on fancy crackers for an easy snack.
- 1 bulb garlic
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x 400g can of cannellini beans
- 2 teaspoons minced rosemary
- 2 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- For serving – crackers, bruschetta, crudités, Sauvignon Blanc. (optional)
- Turn the oven on at 200degC.
- Slice the top off the garlic to expose the cloves, place on a piece of tin foil and drizzle with 2 tbsp or so of EVOO.
- Wrap and seal the garlic in the tin foil, place on a baking sheet or dish and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Drain and rinse the can of beans, reserving the liquid from the can in case you want to loosen the texture of the dip at the end.
- Combine 4 cloves of your roasted garlic with the beans, rosemary, lemon juice, and 3 tbsp EVOO in a food processor or blender, and blend until it’s the desired texture.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve drizzled with fresh EVOO.